Total views : 375
Anaesthetic Management of Pheochromocytoma in a Child
Pheochromocytomas are an unusual tumour in paediatric age group. A 6 year old hypertensive boy with left sided pheochromocytoma was scheduled for excision of tumour. He had presented with complaints of pain in abdomen, excessive sweating, headache and raised blood pressure. Diagnosis was confirmed by CT scan (abdomen) and raised 24 hour urinary catecholamine levels. Preoperative blood pressure was controlled with prazosin (α-adrenergic blocker) and propranolol (β-adrenergic blocker). The anaesthetic technique used was general anaesthesia with caudal catheter. Child was later discharged on oral antihypertensive.
Pheochromocytoma, Paediatric Hypertension.
- Bruce HK, Telender LR, Heerden JA et al. Phaeochromocytomain paediatric age group: Current status. J Paed Surg 1983; 18(6):879–83.
- Stringe G, Ein SH, Creighton R. Phaeochromocytomain children–An update. J Paed Surg 1980; 15:496–500.
- Roberts C. Prys Phaeochromocytoma – recent progress in its management. Br J Anaesth 2000; 85(1):44–57.
- Pullertis J, Sigmud E, Williamson S. Anaesthesia for phaeochromocytoma Can J Anaesth 1988; 35(5):526–34.
- Wallece JM, Gill DP. Prazosin in diagnosis and management of phaeochromocytoma. JAMA 1978; 240:2752–3.
- Brunell BR Jr. Anestesia for phaeochromocytoma. In: Prys RC, Brunell BR Jr editors. International practice of anaesthesia. Published- butterworthHeinemann 1996; 1/83/1-7.
- Hull CJ. Phaeochromocytoma. Diagnosis, preoperative preparation and anaesthetic management. Br J Anaesth 1986; 58:1453–58.
- Ein SH, Pullertis J, Creighton R, Bafe JW. Paediatric phaeochromocytoma. A 36 year review. Paediatric surgery Internal 1997; 12(B):595–8.
- Foex P. Drugs acting on cardiovascular system.Wylieandchurchill Davidson’s A practice of anesthesia. Published: Edword Arnold. 6th ed. 1995; 189–216.
- Rosei EA et al. Treatment of pheochromocytoma and clonidine withdrawal hypertension with labetalol. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. Supplement. 1976; 809–15.
- Takeda T et al. The use of labetalol in Japan: Results of multicentre clinical trials. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 1982; 13(Suppl 1):495–595.
- Stratum MV et al. Use of labetalol during anesthesia for pheochromocytoma removal. Acta Anaesthesiologica Belgica. 1983; 34:233–40.
- Kobayashi K et al. Falsely high urinary catecholamines induced by labetalol. Tohoku Journal of Experienced Medicine. 1979; 127:63–9.
- Kaufman L. Use of labetalol during hypotensive anaesthesia and in the management of pheochromocytoma. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 1979; 8:229S–232S.
- DalPalu C et al. Intravenous labetalol in severe hypertension.British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 1982;13(Suppl):97–9.
- Feek CM, Earnshaw PM. Hypertensive response to labetalol in pheochromocytoma. British Medical Journal of Medical Pharmacology. 1980; 2:387.
- Briggs RSJ, Birtwell AJ, Pohl JEF. Hypertensive response to labetalol in pheochromocytoma. Lancet 1978; 1:1,045-1,046. (27)
- Kojima S, Natsume T, Ito K. Rapid cyclic fluctuations of blood pressure associated with treatment of pheochromocytoma by labetalol. Japan Heart Journal 1985; 1:1,039-1,041.
- Poonam G, Gorgia AR, Wason R et al. Anaesthetic management of bilateral phaeochromocytoma in a child - A Case Report. Indian J Anaesth 2005; 49(1):54–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.