Total views : 337
Pseudopancreatic Cyst in a Patient with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a rare genetic disorder characterised by massive myocardial hypertrophy leading to left ventricular outflow tract obstruction. Clinical presentation ranges from absence of symptoms to sudden death. A 17 yr old male patient, known case of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy was posted for excision of pseudopancreatic cyst. Anaesthetic management of these patients poses considerable challenges. Factors like tachycardia, hypovolemia, vasodilatation and increased cardiac contractility lead to exacerbation of the obstruction.
Anaesthesia, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, Pseudo-Pancreatic Cyst.
- Wigle ED, Rakowski H, Kimball BP, Williams WG. Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy: clinical spectrum and treatment. Circulation 1995; 92:1680–92.
- Chang KH, Sano E, Saitoh Y, Hanaoka K. Anesthetic management of patients with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy undergoing non-cardiac surgery. Masui 2004; 53(8):934–42.
- Davies MR, Cousins J. Cardiomyopathy and anaesthesia CEACCP 2009; 9:189–93.
- Patil S, Ninan B. Anaesthetic management of a patient with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy with AICD for septal myectomy with mitral valve replacement and CABG. Ann Card Anaesth 2005; 8:55–7.
- Konstadt S. Anesthesia for non-cardiac surgery in the patient with cardiac disease. Can J Anesth 2005; 52:R1–R3.
- Singh KV, Shastri C, Raj V, Patil Y, Dav ES, Dewoolkar LV. Anaesthetic management of a case of hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy for non cardiac surgery. The Internet Journal of Anesthesiology 2007; 12(2). ISSN: 1092-406.
- Chang KH, Sano E, Saitoh Y, Hanaoka K. Anesthetic management of patients with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy undergoing non-cardiac surgery. Masui 2004; 53(8):934–42. [Abstract]
- Hreybe H, Zahid M, Sonel A, Good CB, Shaver J, Saba S. Noncardiac surgery and the risk of death and other cardiovascular events in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. ClinCardiol 2006; 29(2):65–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.